Strategies programming supports students with learning disabilities whose intelligence is measured as average to above average and who have significant academic delays. Learning disabilities are complex and can vary from person to person, requiring flexible instruction that meets each student’s unique needs.
- Improve academic skills
- Develop strategies to manage learning challenges with the goal of returning to regular programming as soon as possible
- Improved reading, writing, listening and comprehension skills
- Application of strategies for studying, remembering and organizing information
- Increased responsibility for learning—planning ahead, setting goals and monitoring progress
- Visual aids, concrete examples and hands-on activities
- Smaller classes for more targeted instruction
- Opportunities to access other classes for instruction in a student’s area of strength
To be eligible for programming, students must be:
- in Grades 4 to 6
- diagnosed with a learning disability
- demonstrating significant academic delays despite adequate intellectual, linguistic, sensory and emotional development
Contact your child’s school for information about eligibility and special education programming options.
All Edmonton Public Schools programming is based on curriculum determined by Alberta Education, regardless of the school or program. Students enrolled in Strategies will receive the same high-quality education offered in all of our programs.
Most schools offering special education programming have some yellow busing options available. For more information about busing, contact your child’s school or call Student Transportation at 780-429-8585.